With more Americans getting diagnosed with psoriasis, we wanted to share some important facts about this disease.
• Psoriasis is NOT contagious.
• The most common form of the disease is plaque psoriasis which presents itself as raised, red patches covered with an accumulation of white dead skin cells.
• Recent research has shown that diet may affect psoriasis symptoms. Researchers recommend a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean meats and fish to help reduce flare ups.
• Smoking can exacerbate the psoriasis symptoms.
• Psoriasis is associated with other serious health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.
• Men and women develop psoriasis at equal rates.
• Psoriasis lesions are NOT infectious.
• One-third of people with psoriasis have a family member with the disease.
• For more information about psoriasis visit the National Psoriasis Foundation.Source: National Psoriasis Foundation