Psoriasis is one of those diseases that is often covered up, literally. But did you know it is one of the most common autoimmune diseases in the United States? It is estimated that more than 8 million Americans suffer from Psoriasis. Symptoms include itchy, burning, stinging skin typically on the outside of the elbows, knees or scalp.
Our founder and CEO, Deanna Wallin, personally knows what it is like to suffer from psoriasis. She went from doctor to doctor and tried all sorts of prescriptions drugs, drug-store creams, and expensive cosmetic lotions. But the painful itch continued. With bathroom cabinets full of products that didn’t work, she set out to find relief.
As a former nurse, she immersed herself in researching skin care ingredients and decided to try a more natural approach. She started experimenting with skin care made with cocoa butter, shea butter, aloe vera, coconut oil and fruit seed extracts.sensitive skin care products. From soothing sea salt soap, to hydrating face cream, to long-lasting moisture from a moisturizer stick, Naples Soap Company offers a fragrance-free, non-irritating complete skin care line.
- Psoriasis is NOT contagious.
- The most common form of the disease is plaque psoriasis which presents itself as raised, red patches covered with an accumulation of white dead skin cells.
- Recent research has shown that diet may affect psoriasis symptoms. Researchers recommend a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean meats and fish to help reduce flare ups.
- Smoking can exacerbate the psoriasis symptoms.
- Psoriasis is associated with other serious health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.
- Men and women develop psoriasis at equal rates.
- Psoriasis lesions are NOT infectious.
- One-third of people with psoriasis have a family member with the disease.
- For more information about psoriasis visit the National Psoriasis Foundation.
Source: National Psoriasis Foundation