It doesn’t matter if you are a grandparent, mom, dad, sister, brother or golden retriever, everyone needs to get up and get going! With the long winter days behind us and New Year’s resolutions long forgotten, now’s the time to spring forward and make a change. If you don’t, you might find yourself in a Netflix coma instead of doing something healthy for your body like a walk on the beach, bike ride around your neighborhood or trip to a local yoga class.
Need some inspiration? Here are a few suggestions to help you start small in an effort to make a big change.
- Add basic activity to your day. Start by taking the stairs, parking your car farther away in the lot, and walking a few laps around your block. These small steps help you become more active and burn significant calories over time.
- Do some yoga or meditation on your back porch. Feel the sun on your face and the breeze in your hair.
- Dig a garden and plant some vegetables and herbs. Herbs do wonders for our health, and they give our bodies an additional healthy boost.
- If the weather is bad outdoors, don’t use that as an excuse. Try walking indoors at your local shopping mall. In addition to getting some cardio in, you can check out the change of season sales.
- Try one new cardiovascular workout each week for a month. You’ll get to meet new people and learn something new.
- Sign up for a local 5K. Whether you want to walk or run – enjoy training for the activity with a group of friends.
- Search for local activity groups to join. New friends and new experiences await. Pickleball, Pilates or Aerial Yoga, it doesn’t matter. Just be active.
YOU are the one in charge of making good choices to be your best self. The weather is warming up and cabin fever is no longer an excuse. It’s simple – get OUTSIDE. Whether you are an amateur athlete that wants to train for the next 5K, or you are excited about getting your garden in order, it doesn’t matter at any level. Making that first step to get off the couch and into the sunshine will benefit YOU!
Simply moving around will energize your day, sharpen your mind, and boost your overall health. Take advantage of the warmer weather, the new goals you have set, and a whole new focus on YOU!